Asheville’s Riverside Drive is poised for growth in the near future. Once a heavy industrial area, Riverside Drive has experienced a resurgence in the last 20 years propelled by a bustling artists’ community. Residents and visitors will soon be drawn to the River Arts District to experience the Wilma Dykeman Riverway, the largest multi-modal infrastructure project in Asheville’s history.
As part of the City of Asheville’s East of the Riverway TIGER II Initiative, the Riverside Drive Development Plan focuses on an assessment of redevelopment and open space options on 10 acres of City-owned land. ADC is part of local team includes landscape architects, urban designers, an architect, an engineer, and a real estate economist. The Development Plan’s aim is to produce a plan that develops, integrates and synthesizes:
- A re-use strategy and urban design concept for the City-owned 14 Riverside Drive (aka the PSNC) building, which is currently vacant and in disrepair;
- A redevelopment feasibility analysis (RFA) and recommended strategy for selected City-owned economic development property to the east of the proposed realignment of Riverside Drive that will occur on account of the River Arts District Transportation Improvement Project (RADTIP).
- An open space concept plan (OSC) and recommended strategy for City-owned green space to the west of the proposed realignment of Riverside Drive that will occur on account of the River Arts District Transportation Improvement Project (RADTIP).
- An appendix of issues, projects and concerns identified by the consultant, the City and the community, that reside outside the scope of work of this project but that need further consideration.
- The recommended strategies developed as a result of these activities must aim to transform this area’s underperforming features into assets of regional significance.
Special attention will be given to strategies that strengthen the district as a place that supports arts and culture, that feature sustainable riverfront redevelopment practices, and provide a high return on investment for the community.